Tuesday, September 04, 2007

OK, maybe not.

A little bit ago, I wrote about the Palm Folio. Basically, everyone thought this thing was going to die a quick death. I thought it might actually catch on. Well, everyone was wrong (including myself). It never even got born.

Palm today killed the Folio project.

Huh. I still think there is a good market for this thing. I like the idea. However, I do like Palm's reasoning. Palm really needs to take a step back and come up with some of the really cool stuff that they did for many years. The reasoning behind killing the Folio is that it is not based on their upcoming new platform, which is Linux-based and is quite a bit different than the current (quite old and very stagnant) PalmOS platform. The early developer stuff I've seen for the new platform is quite cool (alot of the early shots I've seen show a very iPhone-like interface). So when it comes out, the "Folio II" will be based on this new platform that is going into many of the new phones. That makes sense. Now let's hope they do the amazing job with this new platform that I know they can. :)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home