Sunday, April 02, 2006

total randomness

Things have been very strange in my family for the past couple of weeks.

A couple weeks ago, we got some indications that my brother, Jim, was going to propose to his girlfriend (not dating a year yet, if I recall). Now I like Sarah, as does the rest of my family, but this couldn't be real, could it?

Yep, it's real. Originally they were going to get married in May in Greenville, SC (right outside of Clemson). The wedding was going to be right after they graduate. The day after. So they had a wedding to plan in less than two months. This is largely because it looked like Jim's Army Reserve unit was going to get called up in the summer and Sarah (who is in Air Force ROTC) was going to Florida for two years of training right after graduation. So they needed a wedding quicker than the usual year or so away. That was going to be amazing if they could pull it off. And they were doing a good job. Jim asked me to be his best man, they selected a church and reception location, started on the food, Sarah ordered her dress, and so on. Progress was being made and the mood changed from "what the..." to "this is actually going to be a good time."

Until Friday night.

Jim's Army Reserve unit got called up. To go to the sandbox. In the middle of April.

Ouch. So much for those plans. Now, we're heading down to Greenville next week. Yes, one week from now, I'm attending my brother's wedding that we just started to think might possibly happen some day in the future about two weeks ago. I'm really, really, happy for my brother. But I'm very disappointed that this is how he's getting married. He deserves a ceremony and a reception and a shower for Sarah and lots of family and friends at the wedding, and so on. With one week to go, I have no idea what this wedding will look like. And then he's off to the sandbox (before college graduation that is only weeks away!) while his fiance stays here. This is a very strange situation and it's evolving so quicky that I cannot even figure out how I really feel about it.

Well, atleast I don't have to give a speech. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home