Thursday, August 18, 2005

Elementary

I just finished reading the complete works of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. This includes all four novels (A Study in Scarlett, The Sign of Four, The Hound of the Baskervilles, and The Valley of Fear) and all fifty-six short stories. These were sixty of the most enjoyable stories I have ever read. Doyle had a wonderful writing style and the use of Watson as a narrator gives all of the stories a very intriguing feeling. As I'm done reading them, I find myself wanting more to read. I also find myself a little disappointed in Holmes' final disposition, as a keeper of bees in the Sussex Downs. I do, however, understand that as well, just as if Holmes was a real person. I understand why someone would want to get away from something they have been doing for such a long time to pursue other interests. At the same time, I completely understand when, in retirement, Holmes encounters a murder and must solve it. The character of Sherlock Holmes is one of the most believable fictional characters I have ever encountered. If you're looking for some good reading, I highly recommend this collection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home